Friday, February 26, 2010

Laundry and classes!! Oh Joy!!

The time has come! I needed to do my laundry. Doing the laundry here kind of sucks. They only have four washers and four dryers. No matter when I try to do my laundry all of them are in use already. They have 22 units with about 16 people in each unit--four washers and dryers is not enough. Then if you get lucky enough to get a load in the wash its always a race to get it in the first dryer available. At least if its not raining we can hang it on the line to dry.

Last Monday was the beginning of classes for most people. My first class was not until Tuesday because I have possibly the best class schedule ever. I have no classes on Monday or on Friday and I only have one three hour class on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. It is really nice having four day weekends and it will give me the chance to travel a lot on the weekends. I have not been to class since December 18th so I was not exactly ready to jump back into the routine of going to class but it was not too bad. The classes I took are: Marketing for Hospitality and Tourism, Sports Tourism, and Entrepreneurship in Tourism. I was sitting in the room waiting for the professor for my sports tourism class to show up. When he came is he was wearing his “Meet me at the UniBar” shirt so I knew the class would be fun. In reality none of my classes seem as if they will be very challenging. All three classes require a lot of reading and three assignments, but only my sports tourism class has a final exam. Having to buy the text books was the worst part. I am used to Stout where we get free book rental, so having to pay about $200 for books really sucked.

On Thursday we had a big toga party at the UniBar. The official theme was rainbow toga. I did not want to spend the money to buy rainbow colored sheets so I used my grey one and told everyone I was the raincloud and the end of the rainbow. It was a lot of fun having 800 or so people all dressed in togas at the bar. On Friday I spent the day in Byron Bay. Byron Bay is a big tourist town right on the beach; they have a ton of surf shops, cafes, and bars. While I was there I bought a secondhand surfboard. I am basically addicted to surfing, it is all I ever want to do. I know a lot of guys who go almost every day so I will be able to practice a lot. Most of my friends were staying the night in Byron at a hostel but I wanted to save some money so I headed back to Lismore on the bus. My journey to and from Byron was quite the little adventure in itself. Some of my friends were driving past Byron on their way to Tweed Heads for the weekend so they dropped me off. When all my friends went back to their hostel I just stayed at the beach to do some more surfing. When it was time for me to go I walked to the bus stop. It turns out that some girls I know where also taking the bus back to Lismore. While we were on the bus I found out that my ride from the bus station back to campus fell through. I did not want to take a taxi by myself because it would have cost about $17. So I crammed into the taxi with the three girls and my surfboard. They were going to the square to do some shopping so I went there with them. From there I was able to take the free shuttle back to campus. It took me about an hour longer then it should have and I had a ton of funny looks for wandering around town with a surfboard but I made it home all the way from Byron for only $6!

The rest of this weekend will probably be pretty chill. I should start reading and working on my assignments. I am going to try and get them done early so I won’t have to worry about them. I know I say that every semester but here I have so much free time I think I will actually stay on top of it.

2 comments:

  1. i am SO jealous or everything you're doing. on that note, i wish you could be here for the big party i'm throwing for my 21st. take lots of good pictures for me to look at!

    bring me home something wicked cool. :)

    [ps, it's nat. they made me use my ancient SN]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yeah that is ancient but I did remember it was you!

    ReplyDelete