Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The first week.

Everyone wanted me to get a blog so here we go....

First things first the weather here is amazing! Sorry I just had to let you know. Anyways the flight down here went smoth. Only the flight from Milwaukee to Chicago was a little bit late. Other then that all was good. I landed in Sydney at about 7:30am last Wednesday. I felt like a lost puppy in the airport. Trying to exchange American money, buying a phone, and finding the right shuttle to the hostel. When i finaly made it to the hostel I got to settle in a bit then go exploring Sydney. Sydney has some amazing parks and of course I got to see the Sydney Opera House. It was not untill I seen the opera house did it finaly hit me, "Holy shit I'm in Australia!" That night in the hostel I went to the bar in the basment with some people from Canada and Holland. It was cool that I was able to drink at the bar but I was so tired from the flight that I left at like 9:30pm to go to bed. The Next day Kate met me at the hostel and we went exploring together. We then jumped on the train that brought us to campus.

We arrived at 4:30am on Friday, we were standing in the carpark of our dorm without a clue where to go or what to do. We got a hold of the RAs and they got us into our room. Since then I have been busy everyday. We got to go to the beach for the day where I got really sunburn. I guess they have a really thin ozone layer in Australia. We have heaps of oriantation stuff every day, it gets a little boring but they give us free snags (sausages) at the BBQs so its not too bad. Everyone here is really nice. The Aussies are great and there are a lot of awsome people from the states here as well. Suprisingly there are a lot of WI and MN kids here. So far I live with one girl from Eau Claire and one Aussie girl. I am still waiting from my last roommate. Rumer has it is that he will be a guy, it will be nice to have another guy roommate. The colleges, or dorms, here are appartment style so we have four bedrooms, a big bathroom, a kitchen, and a living room. Overall they are pretty nice.


Today I got to see a aboriginal dance. I even got to play the didgeridoo!!! I wasn't any good at it but it was fun giving it a try. Just more oriantation stuff today. I signed up to do a scuba class. It includes 4 open ocean dives and I will get internationaly certified in scuba so that will be really cool. Plus this way when I make it to the great barrier reef later in my trip I will be able to do a complete dive insted of just snorkling. Tonight we have trivia night at the unibar so hopefully I will win some good prizes.

I will try to keep updating the blog as much as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment